- What Is a Portable Air Compressor for Tires?
- What Size of Air Compressor Do You Actually Need?
- What Is the Difference Between a Tire Inflator and Air Compressor?
- What to Look for When Buying an Air Compressor
- The Best Air Compressors for Tires
- 1. AstroAI Cordless 20V Tire Inflator Air Compressor
- 2. AstroAI Air Compressor Tire Inflator
- 3. DEWALT DXAEJ14 Jumps Starter and Digital Air Compressor
- 4. TEROMAS Tire Inflator Air Compressor
- 5. GSPSCN Silver Heavy Duty Air Compressor
- Wrapping Up
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, and I may earn a small commission if you purchase through them.
You know the feeling.
You hop onto your ride only to realize that your tires are inflated or don’t have enough pressure. What do you do? You have only two options; head over to a nearby gas station for a refill or grab your trusty air compressor for tires and handle the problem yourself.
The latter is the better and more convenient option.
Whether you’re having a flat tire or dealing with low tire pressure, having a portable air compressor can make all the difference. And with the right inflator at hand, you can have peace of mind, knowing you’re prepared to handle anything your tires throw at you while on the road.
But with many options, how do you choose the suitable air compressor for your needs? What should you look for when buying an air compressor for tires?
We’ve scoured the internet for the best air compressors for tires, taking PSI count, power, portability, features, and ease of use into account. So, whether you’re looking for something portable and lightweight or a more powerful machine, we’ve got you covered.
What Is a Portable Air Compressor for Tires?
In its most basic form, an air compressor is simply an air pump.
However, unlike a standard pump which draws air in and pumps it directly, these tools compress air so that it can be delivered at pressure and used to inflate a range of items – from car tires and bike tires to sports balls – quicker than a standard air pump.
Portable air compressors are compact and lightweight. This makes them easy to pack on trucks and use with no need for an extra hand.
What Size of Air Compressor Do You Actually Need?
Gallon size and CFM are essential factors to consider.
For home use, a simple 3 – 6-gallon tank with a CFM of 2-3 will suffice. A small tank size is also ideal for portability and storage.
What Is the Difference Between a Tire Inflator and Air Compressor?
There’s not much difference between the two. A tire inflator does just that; inflate tires.
Air compressors, on the other hand, are more versatile as they can be used at home. Typically, tire inflators don’t deal with pressures higher than 120 PSI, while air compressors can handle pressures as high as 300 PSI.
What to Look for When Buying an Air Compressor
Air compressors aren’t created equal. It’s crucial to find an inflator with features that meet your needs. Here’s what to look for in an air compressor for tires.
When it comes to air compressors, pressure usually equals speed. The higher the pressure the inflator can produce, the quicker it can fill a tire.
If you’re on a tight budget, look for a compressor with at least 100 PSI. However, an air compressor with a 150 PSI will fill it up faster.
Air compressors need the power to operate, and there are options: corded and cordless.
Corded inflators run off your car’s battery and plug into your vehicle’s 12V jack. Some may clip directly to the battery. As long as the battery is charged, these inflators can run.
Cordless air compressors, on the other hand, are battery-operated and come with their own battery. These tools use a rechargeable battery to power the motor and pump. Cordless air pressures are more flexible than their corded counterparts.
Automatic shutoff is not a critical consideration but a handy feature in your inflator. It allows you to preset the compressor for specific air pressure.
When the inflator reaches your desired pressure based on the preset values, the machine will automatically shut itself off. This feature eliminates guesswork and the need to stare at the pressure gauge until it reaches your desired pressure.
Better still, you can set the machine to a certain pressure level and relax in your car as you wait for it to finish. This can be handy on rainy days as you don’t have to soak yourself in the rain while waiting for the machine to finish.
Most air compressors have either an analog meter or a digital display that shows the pressure level. Analog meters are usually on less expensive units and cannot have an automatic shutoff.
Units with digital displays are usually more expensive, can be preset to specific pressure levels, and are usually more accurate and easier to read.
When shopping for an air compressor, check out the unit’s cord and hose length.
You’ll want to buy a machine with enough power cord and hose to reach your tire comfortably. The larger your RV, the larger the hose length you’ll need, mainly if you plug the air compressor into a stationary 12-volt outlet.
The Best Air Compressors for Tires
Our review team thoroughly researched the best air compressors on the market, considering the above factors. Here are our findings for the best air compressors for tires. Our recommendations are based on our reviews, customer sentiment data and recommendations from our community of metallurgists:
1. AstroAI Cordless 20V Tire Inflator Air Compressor
This AstroAI Cordless Tire Air Compressor is an excellent choice for those looking for a powerful yet portable compressor.
Built with a dual power supply (DC 12V power supply and 20V rechargeable Lithium battery), the AstroAI Air compressor ensures you’ll never run out of battery during the trip. This unit is not only reliable but also powerful.
According to the manufacturer, this compressor has a powerful motor that inflates 30% faster than comparable units. It can continuously work for 20 minutes and compress 160 PSI.
What’s more, it features an automatic shutoff that lets you preset the value you desire, after which the compressor will shut off once the pressure value is reached. There’s also a backlit LCD screen that displays the preset pressure values and the current tire pressure.
The inflation speed of this air compressor is remarkable. You can inflate tires of different sizes in under 4 minutes. The 2000mAh Lithium battery can inflate four tires of the same size at a time, and the included charger can charge the battery from zero to full capacity in just 1 hour.
This is the air compressor that I keep in my car in case I need it.
- Voltage: 12 Volts
- Power source: Battery powered
- Sound level: 80 dB
- Maximum power: 150 watts
- Weight: 4.09 pounds
- Special features: Dual power supply, fast inflation, and charging, automatic shutoff
The AstroAI Cordless 20V Air compressor is a multipurpose machine compatible with SUVs, cars, trucks, bicycles, and sports equipment. At a price of $65, the product is more expensive than comparable units in its class.
- 【SOLID CONSTRUCTION】: Built with a metal cylinder and gears, our cordless tire inflator can continuously work for 20 minutes and compress up to 160 PSI. This efficient and long-lasting compressor can quickly and easily inflate 4 tires.
- 【DUAL POWER SUPPLY】: DC 12V power supply and 20V rechargeable Lithium battery pack power supply makes the inflation more easily. The bottom is stable enough. You don't have to worry about it running out of the battery during the trip. This item include a battery and a charger(The Battery and Charger sold separately).
- 【AUTOMATIC SHUT OFF＆LCD PRESENT MORE】: Preset the value you desire and the air compressor will automatically shut off when the value is reached. The back-lit LCD screen will display both the desired tire pressure value and the current tire pressure. The unit of air pressure can be switched among bar, kPa and PSI.
- 【FAST INFLATION&CHARGING】: Air/Electricity The 20V working voltage provided by the lithium battery can inflate fast, tires of size 195/65/R15 can be filled in just 4 minutes. The 2000mAh high-efficiency lithium battery can charge 4 tires of the same size at a time, and the exclusive charger allows the battery to go from 0 to full in just 1 hour.
- 【MULTIPLE PURPOSE＆EASY TO USE】: The air compressor is compatible with SUVs, cars, motors, bicycles, and basketball-size inflatable products. Note: not suitable for large truck tires. Attached with an exclusive storage bag, easy to carry. The LED light also allows you to inflate in the dark.
2. AstroAI Air Compressor Tire Inflator
With over 50,000 Amazon ratings from satisfied customers, this AstroAI Air Compressor makes a strong case for being one of the best air compressors on the market today.
This 12V air compressor packs quite a punch when it comes to features.
First, the unit has an integrated LED light to help you inflate your tires even in the dark—a feature only a handful of compressors have. It’s also programmable. You can preset your desired pressure values, and the compressor will shut off automatically once those values are reached.
Secondly, it inflates fast and with great accuracy. According to the manufacturer, it can inflate the 195/55/R15 car tire from 0 to 35 PSI in under 5 minutes. It also comes with a 10ft (3 meters) cord that makes it easy to use on all vehicles.
The unit is also compact and lightweight, making it easy to use and carry around. Weighing only 2.2 pounds, the unit is incredibly lightweight. One of the many satisfied customers on Amazon described as a “compact perfection for tire emergencies.”
- Power supply: 12V
- Maximum range: 100 PSI
- Warranty: 3 years
- Programmable inflation
- Fast inflation and advanced accuracy
The AstroAI Compressor Air compressor is excellent for inflating car tires, SUVs, and motorbikes. And a price of $32, you’re getting the best bang for your buck.
- FAST INFLATION & ADVANCED ACCURACY: High-quality materials were sourced for this tire inflator as it can pump up your car's tires with 35 L/Min, it can inflate the 195/55/R15 car tire from 0 to 35psi under 5 minutes. Professionally calibrated to always return a reading within 1.5% of the pressure of your tire. Please NOTE that after 10-15 minutes of continuous use, let the air compressor rest and cool for an equal amount of time at a minimum before continuing use
- PROGRAMMABLE INFLATION: Use the "M" button to set your desired pressure unit, and then press the "+" and "-" buttons to set the desired pressure. The air compressor will automatically shut off when it reaches the pre-set pressure (Please make sure the pressure you set is higher than the current pressure of your tire).
- PRODUCT HIGHLIGHTS: One-click to change pressure units among PSI, kPa, BAR and KG/CM; Large white backlight LCD screen makes it easy to read even in the dark; Equipped with integrated LED flashlight with independent switch control for emergency use; 12V 120W 10ft (3.05 meters) long heavy-duty car cigarette lighter cord makes it convenient to use;NOT 110V AC plug. It needs a 10A or 15A converter to use in a wall plug.
- WIDE RANGE OF APPLICATIONS: 3 Nozzles and Extra Fuse Included. Inflates any Schrader valve on cars, SUVs, motorcycles, and bicycles; the included accessories quickly inflate balls, air pillows, cushions, balloons and mattresses. NOTE: This pump is NOT intended for use with high pressure or large volume applications like pools and Inflatable canoe
- BUY WITH CONFIDENCE: Christmas decorations and gifts for men women. Easily stow the compressor away in your car or garage and it will be ready to use at a moment’s notice. Package includes 1* digital air compressor, 1* Replacement Fuse, 2x Air Nozzle Cones, 1* Needle Valve Adapter 1* Presta to Schrader Adapter, 1* Extension Hose Coupling, 1* User Manual; If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us.
3. DEWALT DXAEJ14 Jumps Starter and Digital Air Compressor
Pairing an inflator with a jump starter is a brilliant move only renowned brands like DEWALT can achieve.
This professional-grade jump starter features a 1,400 peak/700 instant amp, 120 PSI air compressor, backlit LED display, and dual 3.1 amps USB ports, all packaged in a small portable housing. The unit can jump-start 4-, 6-, and 8-cylinder gas or diesel engine car and trucks.
Compatible with GEL, AGM, and WET 12V lead-acid batteries, the DXAEJ14 has enough amps to get most engines in your car, truck, SUV, boat, motorcycle, RV, ATV, or tractor started. Additionally, it has a reverse polarity alarm that alerts you when there’s an improper connection.
The integrated 120 PSI compressor has an automatic shutoff feature that lets you preset pressure values and will shut off automatically once those values are reached. It also features an ultra-bright LCD screen that lets you easily set and read pressure values.
- Amperage: 1,400 amps
- Voltage: 12V
- Weight: 11 pounds
- Warranty: 1 year
- Features: integrated air compressor (120 PSI), LCD screen, built-in AC, flashlight
The DEWALT DXAEJ14 is a powerful jump starter that comes integrated with a 120 PSI air compressor for all your tire inflation needs.
4. TEROMAS Tire Inflator Air Compressor
With its AC/DC outlet, the TEROMAS Tire Inflator Air Compressor is an excellent option for those looking for an inflator to keep in the home garage.
You can also carry it with you on your trips thanks to the included 12V cigarette lighter plug. Additionally, it comes with 3 extra adapters, which makes it perfect for cars, RVs, boats, motorbikes, balls, air mattresses, and other inflatables.
The TEROMAS is a powerful and fast air compressor. According to the manufacturers, this compressor can pump air up to 150 PSI, inflating car tires from 0 to 35 PSI in just 4 minutes.
On the portability front, the TEROMAS is compact and lightweight, weighing a meager 1.1 kg (2.4 pounds). This makes it easy to store and pack in an automobile.
Features-wise, the unit is programmable. You can set your desired pressure unit, and the compressor will automatically shut off when it reaches the preset values. There’s also a backlit LCD that makes it easy to set and read pressure values.
- Voltage: 110V, 120V, 12V
- Power source: Corded electric
- Max power: 120 Watts
- Weight: 2.4 pounds
- Special features: AC/DC outlet, programmable inflation, multiple nozzles
The TEROMAS Tire inflator is an excellent product for use at home and on the go, thanks to its compact size. At a price of $39, this air compressor is affordable for many people.
- AC/DC OUTLET & MULTI-PURPOSE: TEROMAS tire inflator unique AC/DC with 12V car cigarette light plug as well as 110/120V wall plug for home outlet makes this inflator more useful since you can use it anywhere. Come with 3 additional adaptors which makes it perfect for cars, RV, motorcycles, bikes tires, air mattress, inflatable boats, balls and other inflatables.(NOTICE: NOT SUPPORT FOR HEAVY DUTY TRUCK OR TRACTOR TIRES)
- STRONG POWER & SPACE-SAVING: Up to 150 PSI, Inflate the P195/65R15 car tire from 0 to 35psi under 4min. It makes inflating tires in emergency easier and more convenient. Portable size which take up very little space with a carrying bag and allow you keep it in your automobile or home.
- PROGRAMMABLE INFLATION: Use the "R" button to set your desired pressure unit, and then press the "+" and "-" buttons to set the desired pressure. The air compressor will automatically shut off when it reaches the pre-set pressure (Please make sure the pressure you set is higher than the current pressure of your tire).
- DIGITAL DISPLAY & LED Lighting: Bright backlight LCD display makes for convenient use at night. As well as being bright enough to see under strong sunlight, The air compressor gauge can display the pressure in PSI, BAR & KG/CM². TEROMAS air pump is equipped with bright and long-lasting LED lights, easy to use even in the dark.
- 100% SATISFACTION: This is a great tool to take along with your driving tours, use it anytime you need. Meanwhile, any problems, please feel free to contact us. We will do our best to help you. GET 100% SATISFACTION.
5. GSPSCN Silver Heavy Duty Air Compressor
If you’re looking for a reliable air compressor for trucks, the GSPSCN Silver Air Compressor is an excellent choice. Able to reach 150 PSI and with an airflow of 70L/min, this heavy-duty air compressor is ideal for trucks, trailers, minivans, and SUV tires.
Additionally, its stability is excellent, thanks to the rubber feet that ensure the pump stays where it’s placed and doesn’t move around during operation. The rubber feet also help to reduce noise when the compressor is running.
According to the manufacturer, the pump can inflate a 16-inches tire from 0 to 35 PSI in under two minutes. The compressor has dual cylinders that don’t take up your space but give you enough security. This air compressor is also easy to use, and according to one satisfied customer on Amazon, “it works like a charm.”
- Voltage: 12V
- Power source: Corded electric
- Noise level: 75 dB
- Weight: 6 pounds
- Max. power: 240 watts
- Special features: multiple nozzles, fast inflation, real-time monitoring, double cylinder, stability technology
The GSPSCN Silver Heavy Duty Air Compressor is a quality product for those looking for a powerful yet reliable compressor for trucks. And a price of $62, the product is competitively priced for its features and capability.
- 【FAST INFLATION】: GSPSCN Heavy Duty Double cylinder design,maximum pressure 150PSI, air flow 70L/min, inflates standard vehicle tire in 1.5 minutes (200/70/R18, 0-40psi)
- 【STABILITY TECHNOLOGY】: Rubber feet to make sure the 12V air pump stays where it is placed and does not move around during operation ,make the air compressor more powerful,effectively reduce the vibration and noise
- 【DOUBLE CYLINDERS DIRECT DRIVE INFLATION PUMP】: In the direct drive of the motor, the two cylinders at the same time compressed air, powerful and fast inflatable, direct drive motor makes the drive low rotating speed, high efficiency, compact, quiet,stability, and easy to control
- 【WORKS】: particularly suitable for SUVs, trucks, vans, RVs, crossovers, MPVs, campers，Auto, trailers, minivans, also can use for cars, motorcycles, golf carts, bicycles, and more
- 【TRAVEL GIFT 】: During your car trip, carry our GSPSCN little air compressor, which is easy to use and keep your tires in good condition.You can buy a little tire inflator as a gift to your friends or family.
That’s it! Our roundup of the best air compressors on the market today.
We hope you enjoyed reading these reviews and that our guide will help you pick the best air compressor for your car. Found this article useful? Feel free to comment and share!