- What are the best laser engraving machines in 2022:
- 1. beamo 30W Desktop Laser Cutter & Engraver
- 2. Compact Laser Engraver
- 3. A5 Laser Engraver CNC 20W
- 4. OMTech 40W CO2 Laser Engraving Cutting Machine
- 5. LE-4040 Desktop Laser Engraver
- 6. ORTUR Laser Master 2 Engraver
- 7. Glowforge Plus 3D Laser Printer
- FAQs about Laser Engraving Machines
- Which Laser Engraving Machine is Best for You?
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links and I may earn a small commission if you purchase through these links.
Whether you’re looking to personalize prized possessions, add a unique design feature to your products, or level up your workshop, a laser engraving machine will help you achieve your goal. Allowing designers, hobbyists, and business owners to add a truly bespoke addition to their crafts, all from the comfort of your own home.
By utilizing a high-powered laser, these machines can engrave intricate detail with pinpoint precision. They are extremely easy to use, simply upload your chosen design and the operating system will map the route of the laser. This is a subtractive manufacturing technology, meaning the laser will then melt and vaporize the specific design and thickness desired into your chosen material.
Choosing the right laser engraver for your needs is no easy decision, however. As these machines aren’t cheap, it’s important to assess the following factors before taking the plunge:
- Cutting plate size – determining the surface area the laser can reach.
- Materials you would like to engrave on – from wood to leather to steel, different laser engravers are capable of working with a variety of materials.
- Space – ensuring you have the room and adequate ventilation for your chosen machine.
If you’re just dipping your toe into the world of engraving or you are an experienced craftsperson looking to elevate your designs to the next level, we’ve put together our favorite laser engraving machines to help you decide.
When putting together our top picks, we made sure to include a range of machines to suit different budgets, expertise, and product needs. We also analyzed genuine customer reviews to ensure real customers like you were satisfied with their laser engraver.
What are the best laser engraving machines in 2022:
Here are all the laser engraving machines we tested and evaluated:
1. beamo 30W Desktop Laser Cutter & Engraver
This is a very powerful laser engraver with the smallest footprint available on the market today. It is an entry-level laser cutter that delivers professional quality work and is suitable for your home, office, classroom, or design studio. You can even use it in your car or van. With the Smart Trace software, drawings are changed to digital files, and you can engrave your drawings onto hundreds of objects.
Smart Trace is a great feature for businesses that want to cut their logo onto objects that they give as gifts such as mugs or keychains for marketing. The technology allows you to choose the graphics editor for JPG, SVG, PNG, and DXF file formats. If you buy the rotary, it will etch glasses and bottles. A colorful LCD touchscreen on the top of the unit has an on/off switch and settings that make it easy even for a child to set up.
You can even take pictures with your phone and upload them to the printer. Just align the design and your printer will do the job. It is compatible with Adobe Illustrator, Inscape, Autocad, Silhouette Studio and CorelDraw, Microsoft Word, and PowerPoint. The dimensions are 24 x 20 x 10 inches and the weight is 49 pounds.
This machine is comparatively lightweight at 50 pounds which is much less than most bulky printers. The ventilation fan helps prevent fires and extracts smoke and fumes, and it includes several other safety features.
- The laser engraves with an incredibly thin 0.05 layer spacing that is thinner than a human hair
- It has a high 1,000 DPI resolution
- Closed-loop liquid cooling system
- Laser light protection on the workspace
- Automatic pause if the lid is opened while it is working
- Emergency power-off switch
What we love:
- It has a very compact design with an A4-size footprint. It fits easily on a desk or a small shelf
- It cuts a wide range of materials such as wood, leather, stone, rubber, bamboo, fabric, acrylic, cement, glass, and anodized metal to name just a few
We don’t like this as much:
- The ventilation could be a bit more effective if you plan to cut acrylic as it can be potent
2. Compact Laser Engraver
This is a portable, lightweight laser engraver that can be taken anywhere because it is powered by a power bank. First, you connect with the LaserPecker app and choose or upload any pattern in-app and personalize it. It has a preview mode that shows a square on the surface of whatever you are engraving, so you can adjust the position and size of the image to be engraved. You can text any pictures, patterns, logos, or other designs to the LaserPecker app and modify the images before engraving. It is compatible with JPG, PNG, BMP, photos, and vectors.
You can engrave horizontally or vertically. Horizontally means the laser sits on the power bank with the laser pointing at the object you want to be engraved. You may have a decorative pillow you want to put a particular design on or a leather jacket you want to put an emblem on. Just set them up vertically, and point the laser at the spot you want to be engraved. For vertical engraving, you need a small tripod. Put the piece of fruit, glass coaster, wallet, or whatever under the unit and adjust to the area you want to be engraved, and the laser will point straight down.
This small, portable laser is suitable for designers, craft enthusiasts, restaurant owners, companies that need free marketing perks such as keychains or pens, and other artists or handcrafters. It works on wood, colored paper, leather, felt, or even fruit. The unit’s dimensions are 2.09 x 2.4 x 2.56 inches.
- The engraving range is 2.94 inches square and the focal length is 7.87 inches
- The USB interface in Type-C
- It has a Bluetooth connection indicator and an on/off power switch on the back and the laser window is on the front
- It gives .0004-inch engraving accuracy
- It has automatic shutdown if it overheats
- It can be password protected
What we love:
- The in-app editing mode is fantastic. Take a photograph and you can turn it into a stunning line drawing.
- You can also choose from a huge variety of fonts, so you don’t need to meticulously prepare the font you want if you are engraving a slogan, tagline, or name
We don’t like this as much:
- This laser engraver would be improved if it could be used on glass or plastic
- 【Portable and Strong Light Design】The compact laser etcher L1 can be take anywhere and powered by power bank; NO base design, NO limit on Engraving Height, Supported File Formats: JPG / BMP /PNG /G-code , Photo/Vector both supported
- 【Easy APP to Use and Accurate Precision】 Wirelessly bluethooth controlled by a smartphone; Greater power, faster speed, 0.01mm accurate precision engraving; Engraving range: 10*10CM: Four engraving modes, import images,text，drawing or painting directly; Recommended Focal length: 190mm-200mm（ the distance from laser mirror plane to the surface of engraved item）
- 【Durable and Safe】 Laser etching machine with high quality laser head make durablity, better stability and long working time; Working warning alert, motion-trigged stop, overheat shutdown, password lock will keep you safe from accidents: Safe Certification: CE, FCC, FDA, RoHS，CDRH,IEC 60825-1 (Laser Class1)，IEC 60825-1 (Laser Class 4)
- 【Materials can be engraved】 Wood, Paper ( Not for white paper), Leather, Fruit, Felt etc 【Not 】for Metal , Glass ,plastic
- 【Guarantee and Suitability 】30 days free replacement parts ,1-year warranty, and full life customer service; Good for beginners, professionals, hobbyists, carpenters, bakers, leatherworkers, designers, handcrafters, craftsman, craftspeople, craft enthusiasts, modeling enthusiasts, DIY handyman , maker, artist and small businesses
3. A5 Laser Engraver CNC 20W
This machine does both laser engraving and laser cutting. The X-axis and Y-axis have measuring scales that are designed to be accurate to the millimeter. This allows you to minutely control the size of your work. It is compatible with file formats such as BMP, PNG, JPG, DXT, NC, and others. It will carve wood, bamboo, leather, paper, plastic, TCB board aluminum oxide, non-reflective plating, and lacquered metal. It will even cut non-woven fabric such as felt, cardboard, light wood such as balsam, acrylic material, and thin plastic board.
Along with carving, it cuts leather beautifully. It is designed to have a service life of 10,000+ hours. This is the equivalent of nine hours of continuous work per day for three years. The maximum engraving site is 16.14 x 15.7 inches. Be sure to adjust the focus before you start using it.
Also, the power and engraving speeds are adjustable to match the differing requirements of different materials. You could burn the board if the power is too high and the speed is too slow. You won’t get a satisfying engraving if the speed is too fast and the power is too low, so the ability to adjust these factors is a real plus. The electric power is 20 W and the optical power is 4.5 – 5 W . The wavelength is 445 +/- 5 nm. With the correct setting, the engraving accuracy is 0.0004 inches. The dimensions are 23.61 x 22.44 x 10.63 inches and the weight is 10.98 pounds.
- High-power 5W laser technology that has a built-in heat dissipation system
- Uses an integral rod rather than a combined coupling, making the laser movement more precise
- Features laserGRBL software for Windows systems
- Laser protective cover for 97% protection from UV
- Parameters of different materials are found on the Atomstack a5 parameter table that is built-in the laser GRBL software
- Intuitive controls that are easy to use, even for beginners
What we love:
- The engraving parameters can be adjusted multiple times to get the best engraving effect
- It provides high-precision paper cutting which is great for the classroom making stencils, puzzles, and cut-outs
We don’t like this as much:
- This model does not cut metal unless it is lacquered, but it will cut aluminum oxide and non-reflective plating
- ✅【New eye protection design】The laser protective cover perfectly protect your eyes,filter UV light for 97%. You and the people around can watch laser engraving without wearing goggles. Reduce the cost of your goggles and the inconvenience of wearing goggles, prevent pets and children from grabbing the laser spot.
- ✅【Solid and easy installation structure design】The full-metal structure design makes the machine more solid, and improves the accuracy of engraving. The entire engraving machine adopts a modular design, which is convenient for users to assemble,repair, and replace and update machine parts. And the assembly can generally be completed within 10-20 minutes.
- ✅【Upgraded high-performance fixed-focus laser】Powerful 5W laser Laser output, the fixed-focus laser no need to adjust the focus before engraving; the new laser focal spot is 50% smaller than other ordinary lasers, new laser combine precision engraving and high energy cutting at the same time. The laser power of the fixed-focus laser is more stable than the zoom laser.
- ✅【Wide compatibility & Precise scale lines axis】The laser engraving machine can be compatible with LaserGRBL (free, support Windows) or LightBurn (paid, support Windows, Mac OS and Linux). Engraving file format support: NC, DXF, BMP, JPG, PNG, etc.There are precise scale lines on the X-axis and Y-axis to facilitate quick length measurement. 410x400mm large area engraving interval can meet your various engraving needs.
- ✅【After-sales guarantee】We provide 30-day unreasonable return and 12-month free maintenance, replacement parts and technical support services. If you encounter any problems in use, please do not hesitate to contact our seller customer service, our professional after-sales engineer team will solve all problems for you.
4. OMTech 40W CO2 Laser Engraving Cutting Machine
This laser engraving machine is a little larger than the others with dimensions of 31.4 x 18.7 x 17.7 inches. However, it has four wheels that make it easy to move around a large surface area. The engraving surface is 7.87 x 11.81 inches and it will cut or engrave a large selection of non-metal materials. The red dot pointer makes it extremely easy to set up your materials for the perfect cut, and also makes it easy to follow the operation of the machine.
The working area has a clamp as well as a leveling board to accommodate irregular materials and ensure the results are flawless. Shenzhouyike software is included and it is compatible with most third-party vector graphic software. It has a USB port and is only compatible with Windows PCs and not Mac IOS.
- It has a digital control panel with an LCD for water temperature and laser power temperature
- The work area is 12 x 8 inches
- The maximum engraving speed is 19.7 ips
- The maximum cutting speed is 15.8 ips
- It has an emergency stop button
- The digital control panel operates intuitively and adjusts the laser power according to the thickness of the product
What we love:
- This model is very convenient for a larger workshop as it has four wheels that lock and are detachable for fixation or easy movement
- Intuitive operation that is perfect for beginners to laser cutters
We don’t like this as much:
- The clamp is smaller than the working surface, which means you can’t use the full size of the board
- DESKTOP DIY LASERING: Start your laser engraving journey today with this 40W desktop unit and start bringing your ideas to life with extreme speed and precision, cutting up to 1/8" (3 mm) through wood, acrylic, fabric, leather, and other materials at speeds up to 13.8 inches per second
- 8"x12" WORK AREA: The spacious engraving bed provides over 0.6 sq. ft. of room to fit all your projects, whether personalized gifts for friends and family or custom orders for new clients; the vented panel can also be removed to give you more room when working on thicker materials
- SAFE & EASY OPERATION: At moderate power settings, this laser engraver's CO2 tube runs as long as 2000 hours; venting and cooling come included, the water pump keeping everything humming along from any 2 gallon bucket; the viewing window has tinted eye protection and an automatic cut off to stop the laser if the cover is accidentally opened during use; and the emergency stop is standing by should anything go sideways
- VERSATILE & PORTABLE: Compact but powerful, this 57 pound 31.9"x19.7"x9.8" engraving machine fits wherever needed, be it study or workshop, garden shed or company office; Windows editions of Shenzhouyike, LaserDRW, and WinsealXP direct the 40W laser tube, 3 mirrors, 2 axes motors, 12mm focus lens, and red dot pointer to allow intricate labelling and design work in almost any common image format from .jpg to .gif, .svg to .pdf; and detachable wheels keep everything simple to move and adjust
- SUPERIOR SUPPORT & SERVICE: From garage artists to backyard businesses to professional workshops, the OMTech community continues to grow thanks to our passionate dedication to making quality engraving available to all; order your own engraver today and enjoy fast US-based shipping, a strong 2 year general warranty (6 months for tube & power supply), and ever helpful customer service and tech support
5. LE-4040 Desktop Laser Engraver
The LE-4040 is designed for artists, amateurs, and hobbyists to learn to engrave and enjoy doing it. The main parts are pre-assembled and there are no complicated installations needed. It takes about 10 – 20 minutes to assemble and you are ready to go. It will cut or engrave wood, acrylic, cardboard, leather, and more. It has dual Y-axis motors for stability and smooth operation.
This engraver uses GRBL software that is compatible with other types such as Candle, LaserGRBL, and Lightburn. It is suitable for Windows and Mac OS. The dimensions are 25.2 x 22.83 x 9.06 inches and the weight is 12.54 pounds. As with all laser products, the manufacturer recommends you use protective goggles with this machine. Children over 16 years of age should be accompanied by an adult.
- Class 4 laser electric power usage: 5,000mW
- Laser output: 3500mW-4000mW
- Maximum engraving speed is 3000mm/min
- The engraving area is 15.75 x 15.75 inches
- The accuracy is pinpoint to 0.1 mm
- It uses a 12V 5A power supply
What we love:
- The package includes everything you need for set-up, including a USB cable, three Hex wrenches, a power supply, goggles, the user manual, and packages of screws
- It has excellent wire management with designated wire tracks
We don’t like this as much:
- It’s great for simple engraving, however you may have to go over it more than once if you want a deeper cut
- LE-4040 engraver machine has a 5000mW, Class 4 laser unit, which can engrave and cut different kinds of material such as plywood, carboard, leather, acrylic, MDF etc. Use Protective Eyewear while operating.
- Laser power range is S0-S1000. The maximum engraving speed is 3000mm/min. The X and Y axis are belt driven, which helps to reduce working noise.
- 10-20 minutes to fully assembly. Main parts are pre-assembled and no complicated installation. Simple and easy to start for both professionals and beginners.
- It is compatible with GRBL software such as Lasergrbl, Grblcontrol (Candle), Lightburn etc. It supports windows XP/7/8/10, Linux and Mac OS.
- This engraving machine has a large working area of 40 x 40 cm (15.75 x 15.75 inches), which is competent for daily engraving works.
6. ORTUR Laser Master 2 Engraver
This is an advanced machine that can preprocess 32 instructions at one time. It has excellent safety protection with a G sensor on the mainboard that stops the machine if unauthorized movement is detected. The laser beam will also stop to prevent a fire if the USB cable is disconnected. The laser module does not need to be paused for cooling. It has an aluminum frame.
Minors under 14-years should not use this machine, and anyone who uses it should wear protective goggles. It works on paper, ceramic tile, food, glass, wood, thin leather, stone, and acrylic. Some of the common uses are adding a logo to a tablet cover or eyeglass case, making stencils and 3D puzzles, and adding a company logo to free items for marketing. The package comes with assembly tools and a pair of goggles.
- It has a 32-bit motherboard for fast and smooth carving
- The engraving speed is about 3,000mm per minute
- The wavelength is plus/minus 445 – 5mm
- The laser power range is SO – S1000
- It supports image formats DXF, NC, BMP, PNG, and JPG
- It supports Windows, Linux, and Mac OS
What we love:
- This machine operates its laser with pinpoint precision and can even draw a photo on paper
- The aluminum frame provides excellent stability, exactly what you need for precision carving
We don’t like this as much:
- Assembly is quite intricate, but once it is ready to go it’s easy to use
7. Glowforge Plus 3D Laser Printer
This engraving machine is the top of the line. It is fully automatic with autofocus, material detection, and automatic print settings. All you need to do is pick your drawing, photo, PDF, or another format, place the material to be printed, and push a button. It is completely assembled and there is nothing to install. It also comes with a free app that works with PC, Mac, mobile phone, or tablet.
It works exceptionally well on wood, paper, fabric, leather, glass, some metals like anodized aluminum, cardboard, and, yes, chocolate. Other metals such as stainless steel need to be painted a dark color and the laser will not remove the metal it just marks it so it remains smooth to the touch. A package of proofed materials is included. It has been safety tested to UL, CE, FDA, and FCC standards. It weighs 113.8 pounds.
- Precise to the width of a human hair
- Carves up to ½-inch deep and on items up to 11-inches tall and 19.5 inches wide
- It produces more than 1.300 lines per inch, creating exquisite detail
- Wi-Fi capability to capture your images
- It needs to be within eight feet of a window so it can ventilate through the included exhaust hose
- Compatible with dozens of different software packages such as high-end CAD and PowerPoint.
What we love:
- It is perfect for creating stunning 3D products for personalized gifts or for starting your own business
- It gives you a live camera preview of your design. You can see how it is placed on the material and adjust it with your finger or mouse, so it is positioned exactly where you want it
We don’t like this as much:
- We’d like to see the option to use this device on 3rd party materials, as this high-quality machine can only be used on the materials you buy from the company
- YOUR IDEA, IN YOUR HANDS, IN MINUTES – Push the button and the powerful 40 watt laser creates meaningful gifts for your friends, unique products to sell, or something personalized just for you.
- SIMPLY AUTOMATIC– Autofocus. Material detection. Automatic print settings. Just pick your drawing, PDF, or photo, add one of dozens of household materials, and click print.
- FREE SOFTWARE & 30 MINUTE SETUP– There's nothing to install - the free app works with your PC, Mac, phone, or tablet.
- LASER PRECISION with DOZENS OF MATERIALS – Precise to the width of a human hair. Carve up to 1/2" deep, 11" tall, and 19.5" wide, at over 1,300 lines per inch. Engrave or print beautiful and useful products from wood, leather, paper, fabric, acrylic, glass, metal, cardboard... even chocolate!
- SAFE FOR HOME AND SCHOOL – The only CDRH Class 1 laser cutter and engraver. Independently safety tested to UL, CE, FDA, and FCC standards for peace of mind.
FAQs about Laser Engraving Machines
How does Laser engraving work?
A laser engraver is very much like printing. First, you create the design that you want to engrave. This may be a hand-drawn picture that you scan or something chosen from a graphics program such as CoralDraw or AutoCAD. The graphic is sent to the laser through the printer driver.
When you start the work, the laser cuts or engraves the material you have placed on the board. Advanced settings such as JobControl laser software store the graphics in the printer driver and automatically optimize the process. This makes it easy if you use the machine every day.
How do Lasers operate?
The lasers used in engraving machines have an extremely narrow beam of light in which all the light waves have almost the same wavelengths. When the machine makes them travel together, the light beam peaks all line-up, making the light beam very narrow and bright.
The optics inside the machine focus this light into a minuscule spot usually no bigger than a single human hair. Depending on the type of material being cut or engraved, this intense spot of light will burn, melt or vaporize the material leaving behind a sharp and smooth surface finish.
What materials are unsuitable for laser cutting and engraving?
Some materials are dangerous to cut or engrave with a laser machine. The most commonly available materials that you should not cut are:
- PVC (Polyvinyl chloride) includes vinyl, pleather, and other artificial leathers. The danger is it emits pure chlorine gas when it is cut
- Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS) is a tough lightweight plastic that is often used for car parts and countertops. The danger is it will emit cyanide gas, and it tends to melt
- Thick (>1mm) Polycarbonate/Lexan. The reason is it doesn’t cut well, discolors, and catches fire
- HDPE or milk bottle plastic will melt and catch fire
- Any material that contains halogens such as chlorine, fluorine, iodine, bromine, and astatine as well as phenolic or epoxy resins
Which Laser Engraving Machine is Best for You?
Among the many ways to engrave materials, a laser is the most efficient, reliable, and cost-effective. It delivers very high-quality results for small or huge projects. Major industries use different kinds of laser engraving machines, but even for crafting and artistic design at home, school or office there are several different types of smaller machines that are shown above.
Laser engraving is also very environmentally friendly. It doesn’t require toxic chemicals, which makes it safer for children accompanied by an adult to use. After the work is done, it leaves very little, if any, waste behind because the material is vaporized. Any waste is usually in the form of particle dust that is harmless.
With laser engraving or cutting, there is no contact with the material being cut. The heat does the work, and the product is not damaged by the abrasion that happens with other engraving methods. Remember, this is a Class 4 machine that should be kept out of the reach of young children and any user should always wear goggles.
Be sure to also check out our guide to the best Laser levels for 2022 that we put together with the help of the 911Metallurgist community.
If our picks have got you itching to try your hand at laser engraving, or you are already a grizzled veteran, why not check out our picks for the best budget, mid-range, and high-end engravers below
Budget – LE-4040 Desktop Laser Engraver
Mid-range – OMTech 40W CO2 Laser Engraving Cutting Machine
High End – Glowforge Plus 3D Laser Printer
911metallurgist.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.