- What is a magnetic base drill?
- What do you use a magnetic drill press for?
- How strong is the magnet on a mag drill?
- Can you use regular bits in a mag drill?
- How much does a magnetic drill cost?
- How accurate is a magnetic drill?
- #1. DEWALT (DWE1622K)
- #2. Mophorn 1100W
- #3. VEVOR Magnetic Drill
- #4. ZELCAN 1550W
- #5. Mophorn 1200W
- #6. Hougen HMD904 115-Volt
- #7. VEVOR Mag Drill
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, and I may earn a small commission if you purchase through them.
A magnetic drill press is critical in any metalworking or manufacturing workshop. These portable tools are used for drilling small holes in tough materials like steel. They use an electromagnetic base to adhere to the surface of the material, allowing secure and accurate work.
Magnetic drill presses provide a mix of the portability of a handheld drill with the stability of a drill press and are valued for their precision and speed.
What is a magnetic base drill?
A magnetic drill press is a portable machine tool built for making holes in metal. The main feature of these tools is their electromagnetic base, which holds ferrous metals in place, so they stay secure during the drilling process.
While ferrous metals — i.e., metals with a high iron content — are the primary materials used for these machines, you can also work with non-ferrous metals by engaging a clamp. Magnetic drill presses typically use annular cutters or solid drill bits, depending on the machines.
The significant advantage of using a magnetic base is that it increases the portability and flexibility of the tool. Adjusting the base allows you to fix the machines to work sideways, overhead, horizontally, or vertically. This portability allows you to drill onsite rather than bring the metal to the workshop. Finally, magnetic drill presses are much faster than traditional drilling machines.
What do you use a magnetic drill press for?
Magnetic drill presses are used for drilling tough steels and metal. They’re essential tools in structural steel fabrication, like shipbuilding, bridge building, and general installation.
One of the most popular applications of a magnetic drill press is building holes for bolted connectors in steel structures. You can use them for steel signage, guard rails, truck frame rails, and more. Any maintenance and repair outfit will use magnetic drill presses.
How strong is the magnet on a mag drill?
It depends on the unit. Smaller, less expensive units have a lower electromagnetic strength, such as about 2,000 lbs. However, larger, heavier units can carry a magnetic force of upwards of 3,800 lbs.
For context, strong electromagnetic doors have locks of around 1,200 lbs, with some interior models using as little as 600 lbs of force. As long as your machine is turned on, it will stay in place.
Can you use regular bits in a mag drill?
Mag drills are made for use with annular cutters. However, you can also use solid drill bits, depending on the machine.
That said, the advantage of a magnetic drill press is its speed, durability, and precision finishing. Annular cutter bits are a large part of what makes that all possible. So while regular bits are compatible with many machines, you lose some of the device’s advantages.
How much does a magnetic drill cost?
Magnetic drills can cost around $180 to $800, depending on the manufacturer, specifications, quality, and additional features.
How accurate is a magnetic drill?
If you use an annular cutter, a magnetic drill can drill holes in steel or stainless steel with an accuracy of 0.001 mm to 0.005 mm. This capability is one of the reasons why these tools have grown in popularity in recent years.
The following seven magnetic drill presses are what we recommend for 2022, based on the latest customer sentiment data and recommendations from our community of metallurgists:
#1. DEWALT (DWE1622K)
The DEWALT Drill Press is a solid, heavy-duty magnetic drill. It has two speeds (300 or 450 rotations per minute), which are easy to move between thanks to its quick-release feed.
The 10 AMP motor means you can count on this drill for high performance; it drills through heavily still with remarkable ease. Throw a powerful magnet, and quick-release handle feeds on top, and you’ve got an absolute beast of a machine on hand.
One of the more exciting features is that you can move between a 1/2″ keyed chuck and 3/4″ Weldon Shank. This feature seems to have split customers, with some calling it a blessing while others say it results in a loose fit.
Another great plus is that you can use standard-length twist drill bits by moving the drill body up on the slide. This feature could provide significant savings on buying stub drill bits.
Finally, it comes with a great carrying case, making this a very portable tool. At just 22.44 x 6.5 x 19.29 inches, it’s easy to work with and place anywhere, which is fantastic if you’re calling out for repairs or maintenance.
- Max Speed: 450 RPM
- Power: 300W
- Weight: 1 lb
- Dimensions: 22.44 x 6.5 x 19.29 inches
- 10 amp motor, 2-speed settingsl ;No Load Speed : 300/450 rpm
- Overload protection electronics which prevent motor damage
- Quick Change chuck system. Drillpoint Pressure @ 1/2" Steel Plate (12mm) : 741 pounds
- Magnetic coolant bottle can be placed on either side of tool or on a work surface
- 4-3/8 inch Drill travel offers maximum capacity for heavy duty applications
#2. Mophorn 1100W
The Mophorn 1100W packs a lot of power. Yes, the body is a bit bulkier than some of the other magnetic drill presses on our list, but it’s hard to beat it for the price.
With a 10 AMP that can hit an impressive 550 RPM, the 1.57-inch drill size combined with a 5-inch coring depth makes this tool capable of working in most commercial jobs. Add in an electromagnetic base that is capable of fixing drill bits at a force of around 2700 lbs, and you’ve got an impressive machine.
The double dovetail guiding rail makes the machine more rigid and robust, while the non-slip rubber crank handles provide an excellent grip. The control panel is well-designed and perfect for even new users.
It should be noted that the tool doesn’t use annular bits; it comes with hollow boring bits instead. There are 11 different drill bits, ranging from 12mm to 27mm. Overall, the machine is easy to use and well-designed.
- Max Speed: 550 RPM
- Power: 1100W
- Weight: 10.5 x 3 x 11.5 inches
- Dimensions: 10.5 x 3 x 11.5 inches
- Superior Performance: Our portable drill press generates exceptionally strong power thanks to its 1100W copper motor. It is capable of drilling into toughest materials at 550 RPM. Maximum Coring Diameter: 1.57'' (40 mm); Maximum Coring Depth: 5'' (125 mm). Besides, our magnetic drill can only be used with hollow boring bits, not with annular bits.
- Premium Coring Bits & Cooling Pot: There are 11 chisel bits: 12mm, 13mm, 15mm, 16mm, 18mm, 20mm, 21mm, 23mm, 24mm, 26mm, 27mm, meeting a variety of demands for coring. Also, we provide you a rust-proof stainless steel cooling pot and a pilot pin. The pilot pin can remove screws and assist in the installation & removal of bits.
- 12,000 N Magnetic Force: The powerful two-stage magnet can generate 12,000 N of holding force, ensuring the drill press machine will not move in the work. Thanks to its Electromagnet base, our magnetic drill press anchor itself securely during use through its solid iron bottom.
- User-Friendly Design: The double dovetail rail adds rigidity and improves the wear resistance of magnetic drill press. This ergonomic design handle provides comfortable grip in operation and transport. These 3 extended crank handles are coated with nonslip rubber for labour-saving operation.
- Various Applications: This versatile magnetic drill press is immensely suitable for industrial and steel fabrication, ship or bridge building, railway manufacture, wind power generation, power-plant construction, home improvement, equipment installation, and a wide swath of other fields.
#3. VEVOR Magnetic Drill
The VEVOR Magnetic Drill is a powerful, high-performing tool with a reasonable price tag. It’s light and portable and has a 1.57-inch diameter bore that can hit depths of a little over 2 inches. While that travel distance is shorter than its rivals, it’s still suitable for most metalworking jobs.
The machine’s 12000 N magnet gives around 2700 lbs of force, which is more than enough to hold your materials in place. It comes with 12 different drill bits, with sizes ranging between 10mm and 27mm. These bits can be installed directly and guarantee quick, accurate work.
The magnetic drill contains a sizable integrated coolant tank that reduces overheating and servicing. What’s more, the machine comes with three comfortable crank rods that make adjusting the drill a simple operation.
Finally, the lock speed button is a superb feature that, when combined with the array of different drill bits, gives this machine a great deal of versatility. Overall, it’s a fantastic option for the money.
- Max Speed: 580 RPM
- Power: 1100W
- Weight: 27 lbs
- Dimensions: 11 x 4.7 x 14.2 inches
- Superior Performance: This 1100W heavy-duty mag drill bores at 580 RPM up to a maximum 2" depth and a maximum 1.6" across. With its 10A powerful motor, the magnetic drill press drills through industry quality steel with ease.
- Premium Coring & Twist Bits: The mag press is best used with the included drill bits, allowing you to create holes in most common sizes. 11 Coring bits: Φ0.47"/12 mm, Φ0.51"/13 mm, Φ0.59"/15 mm, Φ0.63"/16 mm, Φ0.71"/18 mm, Φ0.79"/20 mm, Φ0.83"/21 mm, Φ0.91"/23 mm, Φ0.94"/24 mm, Φ1"/26 mm, Φ1.1"/27 mm. Twist Bits: Φ0.4"/10 mm.
- 12,000 N Magnetic Force: The electromagnetic base is made of almost pure iron, which is sturdy and durable. It has a powerful magnetic force up to 2697lbf/12000N, allowing you to accurately position the machine for precision drilling.
- Cooling System & User-friendly Designs: The ergonomic handle provides a comfortable grip during transport. These 3 extended crank handles ensure laborsaving operation. Coolant tank is used for fast heat dissipation. Clear panel for easy read and operation.
- Wide Applications: This versatile magnetic drill allows you to bore into almost any surface you can think of. It is ideal for ship & bridge building, industrial and steel fabrication, windmill & power-plant construction, railway manufacture, equipment installation, and many other fields.
#4. ZELCAN 1550W
The ZELCAN 1550W Electric Magnetic Drill Press is a heavy-duty machine that can bore holes 2-inches deep and across. The powerful 1550W copper motor allows 500 RPM, while its enameled wire is rated to withstand temperatures of up to 428°F, ensuring the tool will be with you for the long haul.
The tool is light and portable. However, the 15500N electromagnetic base provides 3500 lbs of suction, which allows secure and precise work. It comes with six core drill bits that are suitable for the toughest materials. The half-pint coolant tank is there to reduce overheating and reduce the frequency of service.
The well-designed grip makes the machine easy to use and carry, while three crank grips make moving the drill up and down a very simple operation. Finally, the control panel is stripped back and simple, which ensures the machine is a pleasure to use.
Overall, this is a well-designed and reasonably priced machine.
- Max Speed: 500 RPM
- Power: 1550W
- Weight: 40lbs
- Dimensions: 15.74 x 11.8 x 3.97
- Superior Performance ----- This heavy-duty ZELCAN electric magnetic drill press bores at 500 RPM up to 2" deep and 2" across; it is best used with the included standard core drill bit set, allowing you to create holes in most common sizes
- Powerful & Durable Motor ----- Our portable drill press generates exceptionally strong power thanks to its 2.1 HP 1550W copper motor; its premium enameled wire withstands temperatures up to 428°F and makes your motor long lasting and wear resistant
- Optimal Design ----- Despite its light weight and portability, our magnetic drill press anchors itself securely during use through its solid iron bottom which acts as a powerful 3500 lbf (15500 N) electromagnet at the flick of a switch
- Wide Application ----- This versatile magnetic drilling machine allows you to bore into almost any surface you can think of, ideal for ship & bridge building, industrial and steel fabrication, windmill & power-plant construction, railway manufacture, equipment installation, home improvement, and many other fields
#5. Mophorn 1200W
The Mophorn MB23 mag drill has a powerful 1200W copper motor that makes it suitable for handling the toughest materials. With an RMP of 550, you can bore holes of 0.9-inch diameter with a depth of 2-inches, with an impressive traveling distance of over 8 inches. The unit also contains a lock speed button, which is a handy feature.
The drill contains a magnet with a holding force of 13,500N or 2920 lbs, ensuring minimal movement during work. Additionally, the unit has a sophisticated dustproof cooling system that provides fast heat dispersion, allowing you to work longer while reducing the risk of damage.
Other features worth mentioning are the three extendable crank rods that help you adjust the drill up and down with ease. The machine is easy to carry thanks to its ergonomic handles, which is what you want from a portable tool.
It’s worth noting that it’s not compatible with annular cutters and doesn’t have a variable speed option. However, overall, the MB23 is a compact and durable machine. While it might not have all the features you’d get from more expensive tools, it’s incredible value for money and well worth a place in most workshops.
- Max Speed: 550 RPM
- Power: 1200W
- Weight: 48 lbs
- Dimensions: 12 x 3 x 24 inches
- Superior Performance: Our portable drill press generates exceptionally strong power thanks to its 1200W copper motor. It is capable of drilling into the toughest materials at 550 RPM. Maximum Coring Diameter: 0.9 inches / 23 mm; Maximum Travelling Distance: 8.26 inches / 210 mm.
- 13500 N Magnetic Force: The powerful magnet can generate 13,500 N of holding force, ensuring the drill press machine does not move in the work. Our magnetic drill press anchor itself securely during work thanks to its electromagnet base.
- Efficient Cooling System: The dustproof air inlet and exhaust air holes are designed to effectively cool the magnetic drill press during overheating and lift the security to a higher level.
- User-friendly Design: Ergonomic design handle provides a comfortable grip in operation and transport. 3 extended crank handles are coated with nonslip rubber for labor-saving operation. The external carbon brush allows you to operate the mag drills with minimum effort.
- Various Applications: The electromagnetic drill press plays a vitally important role in shipbuilding, equipment manufacturing, equipment installation, bridge engineering, wind power generation, and other engineering facilities.
#6. Hougen HMD904 115-Volt
The Hougen HMD904 is a powerful and portable magnetic drill designed for efficient metal fabrication. It can drill holes between 1.5 to 2 inches in diameter, with a depth of 2 inches. However, you can purchase additional annular cutters to boost its capabilities.
The tool is well-designed, versatile, and easy to use. One of the most interesting features is a pilot light that allows increased accuracy and an ability to work in low light conditions. Additionally, the machine uses a two-stage magnet, which only hits full suction as you work, extending the magnet’s life.
The gravity-fed coolant system, ergonomic housing, and hidden power cord are all welcome design features, while the slot drive arbor guarantees accuracy and easy change out of accessories.
Hougen also sells compatible parts, like countersinks, chucks, and pipe adaptors, which considerably extend the machines’ possibilities and transform the drill into a portable machine shop.
- Max Speed: 450 RPM
- Power: 1200 W
- Weight: 34.9 lbs
- Dimensions: 11.62 x 7.75 x 18 inches
#7. VEVOR Mag Drill
With a powerful 1680W motor, the VEVOR mag drill is perfect for even the toughest materials and jobs. It can bore holes of up to 2 inches in diameter and depth and boasts a travel distance of 8.5 inches. With a powerful magnet of over 2900 lbs, it allows you to work safely and accurately.
One of the drill’s most interesting features is its stepless speed regulation. You can cycle between 0 to 300 RPM speeds with a knob on the control panel, giving you exceptional control for working with different materials.
The VEVOR’s 300ml coolant bottle is easy to install and remove, while the machine also comes with dust proof inlets that help keep temperatures low, ensuring the longevity of bits and the drill.
The drill is not suitable for annular cutting bits. Instead, it uses hollow boring bits. Another limitation that is worth noting is that you can only use the machine’s powerful 13000N magnet with a steel plate of 5mm or more thickness.
Overall, this machine is powerful, versatile, and well-designed.
- Max Speed: 300 RPM
- Power: 1680 W
- Weight: 27.9 lbs
- Dimensions: 19.1 x 18.9 x 7.3 inches