- To participate in the 911Metallurgist Forums, be sure to JOIN & LOGIN
- Use Add New Topic to ask a New Question/Discussion about Mineral Processing or Laboratory Work.
- OR Select a Topic that Interests you.
- Use Add Reply = to Reply/Participate in a Topic/Discussion (most frequent).
Using Add Reply allows you to Attach Images or PDF files and provide a more complete input.
- Use Add Comment = to comment on someone else’s Reply in an already active Topic/Discussion.
Ball Mill grate design help needed (2 replies)
Please join and login to participate and leave a comment.
Hi, a customer has approached us to make new grate and 'cap' for their vibratory ball mill. The barrel is about 28" in diameter, and 36" long, using about 2000lbs of ball charge. We are hoping to get more longevity from the grate, so the idea is to fabricate a weldment, instead of a casting, using Hardox plate.
As you can see, the castings are mounted via 4 'wedge' bolts, and 4 'T' bolts. I assume the wedge bolts are only used to more evenly distribute the load on the casting. If we were to simply weld an outer ring to the grate plate, that was tapped to use studs or bolts instead, do you think that would cause an issue?
Another design element it has, is a 'wave' ring around the OD, and ID on the working side. How critical is this element to the function of a ball mill?
I look forward to hearing you input and suggestions.