THE DANGERS OF NITRIC ACID
Nitric acid can be absorbed through the skin, causing nitric acid poisoning. WEAR RUBBER GLOVES!
Nitric acid cannot be boiled or simmered in the house or where it is not well ventilated. It causes nitric poisoning. You will hurt in every joint of your body and it can kill you.
Nitric acid can kill if swallowed.
Always add nitric acid to water, NEVER add water to nitric acid!
Nitric acid can ruin your clothes and shoes.
Always wear rubber gloves, plastic safety glasses and a plastic or rubber apron.
- Distilled or spring water (any water without chlorine).
Chlorine mixed with nitric acid can dissolve gold.
- Nitric acid.
- Uniodized table salt.
- Beaker or Pyrex container.
- Hot plate or camping stove.
- Wood or plastic spoon for stirring.
- A glass rod can also be used. Squeeze bottle, such as a soap bottle that contains distilled or spring water for washing the beaker. ash-free or coffee filter. An ash-free filter is best, but costs more and is harder to find.
- A plastic funnel or strainer to use with the filter.
- A glass bottle or beaker to filter the liquid into.
SOME OF THE METALS NITRIC ACID IS USED ON
- Gold – to clean and separate.
- Silver – to purify and separate.
- Computer parts or anything that has been flashed or plated with gold or silver. Sometimes the parts will be gold flashed or plated with silver underneath. Always check for silver when taking jewelry or computer parts down.
- When purifying dore bars of gold or silver.